Sweden is one of the Scandinavian countries located in Northern Europe. It is the third largest country in the European Union and has a population of about 9.8 million people. Sweden ranks eighth in world with respect to per capita income, providing a good quality of life and protection of civil liberties for its citizens. Sweden is considered one of the world’s most innovative nations as it eagerly embraces new technology and provides a fertile ground for new ideas. The country has a digitally well connected economy with the government spending a higher percentage of its GDP on research and development, when compared to other countries.
Sweden has a lot to offer international students, given its high quality of education and liberal culture. Since the country fosters innovation and technological advancements, it gives students plenty of opportunities to start off their careers on a good foot.
- Capital: Stockholm
- population: 9.517 million
- GDP: $525.7 billion
- Number of Universities: 51
- Currency: Swedish krona (SEK)
- Official Languages: Swedish
WHY STUDY IN SWEDEN?
- Courses with cutting edge technology and high end research
- Liberal scholarships up to 100%
- IELTS/TOEFL not required for Engineers
- Beautiful cities, efficient public transportation, peaceful country with minimum pollution
- Industry centric courses to give students practical experience and skill independence to make them competitive.
- Rigorous quality control on all courses taught
- Most universities fully subsidize tuition costs for students, regardless of their nationality , making education quite affordable
- Sizeable number of courses offered in English so foreign language should not be a barrier for international students.
- Excellent International study environment with all programs taught in English
- One of the most technically strong countries in terms of inventions
- Three Swedish universities figures in the list of world’s top 100 universities
- One of the strongest economies in the world
- Birthplace of many successful innovative companies like Volvo, Scania, Ericsson, Tetrapak Ikea, H&M, Eletrolux
THE SWEDISH EDUCATION SYSTEM
- There are over 50 institutions offering higher education in Sweden.
- Degrees are generally offered at three levels: bachelors, masters and doctoral.
- Greater autonomy is given to Institutions to structure courses and programmes according to their own needs, using a credit system, allowing students to have say in their learning and education.
- Masters programmes are offered in close collaborate with local industry and institutions are obliged to interact with the local community while specialising in specific subject areas.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Exemption is given for engineering students )
COST OF STUDY
- The tuition fees usually range between SEK 70,000 and 170,000 per academic year (around EUR 7,000-17,000). The exact amount will depend on your program, degree level and the university.
- SEK 8370 per month(Swedish Krona per month)*
WORK PERMIT AND STAY BACK
- Unlimited work rights for students while studying(Dependents can join)
- 6 months stay back
- IELTS, TOEFL, PTE scores or any equivalent as a proof of English Proficiency
- • IELTS Waiver is available for eligible candidates
- Diploma programs: Overall band score of 5.0
- Bachelor’s Degree: Overall band score of 6.0
- Masters Programs: Overall band score of 6.0 – 6.5
- Main intakes during January and September
- • There are Universities offering multiple intakes (February, April, May, October and November)
COST OF EDUCATION
- An average of 10,000 GBP per year*
*Fees information given are of informative nature may vary from university to university
COST OF LIVING
- 11385 GBP (Inner London – 9 months)
- 9135 GBP (Outer London – 9 months)
WORK RIGHTS AND STAY BACK
- About to implement Point Based Immigration System
- 20 hours per week ( 40 hours during vacation )full time work rights for spouses for Masters programme
- Post study work permit for students who secure a job offer with salary of 20,600GBP
- • UK Home Office confirms 2 years Post Study Stay back (Graduate Immigration route) for students graduating with Bachelors, Masters, PhD, after the summer of 2021.